Required Reading Before Application Completion
Members requesting assistance from the AMFA Local 11 Welfare Committee must read the following section before submitting the application. This will better assist the Committee in performing their responsibilities.
Per AMFA Local 11 Bylaws:
• The funds used to sustain this program are from members’ dues at a rate of 5% per month.
• The maximum to be awarded to a member is $2,500.
• The request MUST have a verifiable need and the Committee is charged with verifying this need.
• The Committee has the authority to increase or decrease the amount requested within the limits of the Bylaws.
• The omission of requested information or falsification WILL result in disqualification and prevention of award for three years.
• Should a request be denied by the Committee, one must wait 90 days to resubmit.
Points to consider prior to submitting an application:
• Applications MUST be completed in full. Please treat these applications with respect as this is the Members’ monies. Also, we are regulated and responsible to the Department of Labor and Internal Revenue Service as well. Fill out these applications as if it were an application to a bank credit organization.
• Once this fund has been depleted, no money can be added from other accounts to fund assistance.
• This should be one of the Member’s last stops for assistance.
• A member must consider their own assets first before requesting assistance from AMFA Local 11. An example would be an individual loan from your 401k.
• The Committee is expected to ask questions of your financial situation before making a decision, don’t be surprised if they ask sensitive questions.
• The days of “This member got money so why not me too” is gone. This program has been created to protect our money and our Union. The management of this money is a responsibility we do not take lightly.
If a member wants more information on the Welfare Fund and the Welfare Committee, they can go to Article VI section 16 of Local 11 bylaws.